You’re in the middle of an interview for an amazing new job opportunity in Springfield. Everything is going great. You look polished; you sound confident; you’re nailing every question. Then the interviewer asks you:
“If you were a car, what kind of car would you be?”
Your heart starts racing. Your mind goes blank. You begin to sweat. What should you say?
First of all, there’s no need to panic. This kind of interview question is designed to stump you. The interviewer wants to see how you react and how quickly you can think on your feet.
Here’s what to do and what NOT to do in this kind of situation:
- Don’t let the question rattle you. Simply smile and take a deep breath.
- Ask for a moment to give it some thought. A moment of silence or a pause in the conversation is better than blurting out a ridiculous answer.
- If you don’t know what the interviewer is fishing for in your answer, then ask for clarification or for an example. Many times by discussing the question in this way, an answer will come to you.
- If you still can’t think of a good answer, simply ask the interviewer to come back to that question.
- Also, don’t worry about being brilliant or witty. Just be yourself and give an honest response. There is rarely a wrong answer to these kinds of questions.
Here are some examples of other unexpected job interview questions that may come your way:
- If you could have dinner with anyone from history, living or dead, who would it be and why?
- Who do you admire the most and why?
- If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?
Also, while you can’t prepare for every off-the-wall question, make sure you ARE prepared for the basic questions, such as:
• Tell me about yourself?
- Where do you see yourself in one year? Five years?
- Tell me about a time when you successfully handled a complicated situation?
- What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
- What do you consider your biggest career achievement?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want this job?
As Springfield’s leading staffing agency, Pascoe Workforce Solutions knows what employers are looking for during jobs interviews. If you’re searching for work and need helping preparing for an interview, please contact Pascoe today. We can help.